No, it wasn´t this Larry Elmores classic cover of the game that got me started in the hobby :) But I really got my nostalgic gear going on when I looked at this box...
Pathfinder... Ok, I´ve heard of this... It´s that most playtested and praised RPG in the world with old D&D system. Well nowadays, being almost forty, I like darker and more complicated games, not some juvenile dungeon bashing action, with healing potions and trap doors, in search of treasures and fame... Errr... wait a minute. I´ve been hosting some Descent sessions for almost a year now, and we´ve had some great times with that door breaking, head bashing, loot collecting, dungeon action board game. So, could this be a logical step thinking about life after Descent..? I dunno, but I grabbed my wallet, and payed the price...
After reading the rule books for a while, I got a smile in my face (in a good way), for they really got me back in the good old D&D days...and I was very pleased about the high quality stuff found inside. This is from Paizo´s site... what´s inside. (Old news for most of you out there...:))
- 64-page Hero's Handbook, detailing character creation, spells, equipment, and general rules for playing the game
- 96-page Game Master's Guide packed with adventures, monsters, magical treasures, and advice on how to narrate the game and control the challenges faced by the heroes
- A complete set of 7 high-impact polyhedral dice
- More than 80 full-color pawns depicting tons of heroes, monsters, and even a fearsome black dragon
- Four pregenerated character sheets to throw you right into the action
- Four blank character sheets to record the statistics and deeds of your custom-made hero
- A durable, reusable, double-sided Flip-Mat play surface that works with any kind of marker
Pics of the Flip-Mat...
Starting adventure map on the other side... maybe I could use my Descent floor tiles instead :)
I´m not gonna give my review of the game here, for there´s hundreads of them in the internet. This was just me reasoning for myself, why I spent some money again on the gameing hobby... And why I´m gonna spend some more for the 576 pages Core Rule Book, 328 pages Bestiary, The Inner Sea World Guide, Game Mastery Guide, Advanced Players Guide, Bestiary 2, Bestiary 3... Ultimate Combat... ... ... Wife took my wallet... Bye now!