7 Feb 2010

Dragon Princes

So I called back to the store, asking if the collector dudes Old School Dragon Princes were still available... And they were :) I´m gonna pick them up Tuesday... Hooray!

Mean while, here´s few pics of my current Dragon Princes look.


These two Princes I´ve almost finished painting. Technique is really simple. Dry brush, and some more dry brush... I started with black under coat (as always). Then some Red Gore dry brushing until it covers all the areas neatly. Then some lighter dry brushing with blood red to the details that I wanted to draw out more visible. And also to the edges of the armor. Then I just slapped some gold where I needed it. I think gold works best with red...

Just felt that dry brushing blood red wasn´t enough... so I started high lighting the edges of the armour plates for some more contrast. And soon found my self painting some ornaments to the horse aromour... I just can´t keep it fast. I´ts my curse... So now I´m planning to paint ornaments also to the horse barding and maybe add some gold to the Princes armour...



The color theme is more Vampire Counts than High Elves... I´ve tried to save some High Elf feeling with larger white areas on the Princes cloth. But I wanted the best cavalry unit in the game (almost anyway) look like some real punishing bad ass group. And red has always been a symbol for blood and war... so there you have it :)

I have no excuse for the black sword in the Princes hand... Maybe I got carried away wiht some Storm Bringer feelings... (You know, the Elric of Melnibone :)


I just noticed writing this, that this Prince has dropped his shield... where the hell that might be? Anyway... I think with some thin white line of white to the horses barding I could turn Princes from Vampire Counts look to more High Elvish... And of course I could add some High Elf symbols to them...

There goes my "fast but neat" painting plan again..!


2 comments:

  1. Wow ... A) I'm jealous of your awesome find and B) you are making (at least in my opinion) one of the most challenging armies to paint look easy. I've always wanted to do up a high elf army ... but I need to re-tune my painting skill back up before I attempt such a feat. That is one thing I really love about the GW hobby though ... finding old classic models and giving them new life. Its cool to blend the old classic figs in with the new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The High Elves can be pretty laborious to paint... models have so many small details that it sometimes takes forever to finish painting... What I should learn, is to leave the small details to "fast paint" level with my rank & file troops.
    But still I like the challenge, and hope that someday I´ll get 2000pts painted High Elf army to the war table :) ... And you just go for it Lord ;)

    ReplyDelete